C-SPAN Suspends Lying Senior Executive Producer, But Says He’ll Eventually Come Back

(ConservativeUnit.com)- Turns out Steve Scully wasn’t hacked after all.

On Thursday, the senior executive producer and political editor of C-SPAN admitted that he lied when he said he was hacked a few weeks ago after posting a negative message about President Donald Trump. The network has placed him on “administrative leave” for now, but they said they expect him to be able to resume his position eventually.

The Commission on Presidential Debates selected Scully to be the moderator for the now-cancelled second presidential debate that was supposed to take place Thursday night.

When the selection was announced, Trump and other conservatives took aim at Scully, who many said would play favorites as the moderator. They pointed to the fact that Scully once served as an intern for Democratic candidate Joe Biden when he was a senator roughly 40 years ago.

After Trump criticized Scully publicly, Scully took to Twitter to reach out to Anthony Scaramucci, who was once a friend of the president’s but is now a foe of his. On October 8, Scully wrote:

“@Scaramucci should I respond to trump.”

That tweet went viral the following morning. In response, Scully said he didn’t send the message, claiming that his account was hacked. In a statement, C-SPAN backed its senior executive producer, saying:

“Steve Scully did not originate the tweet and believes his account has been hacked.”

Now, a week later, Scully has finally admitted that he lied and did, indeed, send out the tweet himself. In a statement Thursday, Scully said:

“For several weeks, I was subjected to relentless criticism on social media and in conservative news outlets regarding my role as moderator for the second presidential debate, including attacks aimed directly at my family. This culminated on Thursday, October 8, when I heard President Trump go on national television twice and falsely attack me by name.

“Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci. The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked. These were both errors in judgment for which I am totally responsible. I apologize.”

Following the news, Trump tweeted in celebration:

“I was right again! Steve Scully just admitted he was lying about his Twitter being hacked. The Debate was Rigged! He was suspended from @CSPAN indefinitely. The Trump Campaign was not treated fairly by the ‘Commission.’ Did I show good instincts in being the first to know?”

While the network put Scully on administrative leave “starting immediately,” they also said it was possible for him to return to C-SPAN and do his job properly. The network said in a statement:

“During his 30 years at C-SPAN, Steve consistently demonstrated his fairness and professionalism as a journalist. He has built a reservoir of goodwill among those he has interviewed, fellow journalists, our viewers, and with us … After some distance from this episode, we believe in his ability to continue to contribute to C-SPAN.”

Apparently, C-SPAN thinks some “distance” from the “episode” will suddenly cause Scully to not have slanted views toward Trump and conservatives.