YouTube Escalates Censorship Of Election Challenges

(ConservativeUnit.com)- Google-owned YouTube said it plans to increase its efforts to censor “election misinformation” that is posted to its website. The company announced this new effort after Facebook/Instagram and Twitter all censored President Donald Trump on Wednesday night.

Google announced the any YouTube channel that is found to be in violation of its policies would be banned from uploading new videos temporarily. This goes for Trump and anyone else.

YouTube made the announcement on Twitter this week, saying they were making their policy stricter due to the “disturbing events that transpired yesterday.” They were referring to the “Stop the Steal” rally for Trump and the ensuring riot at the U.S. Capitol building.

The series of tweets read:

“Due to the disturbing events that transpired yesterday, and given that the election results have now been certified, starting today *any* channels posting new videos with false claims in violation of our policies will now receive a strike.

“Over the last month, we’ve removed thousands of videos which spread misinformation claiming widespread voter fraud changed the result of the 2020 election, including several videos President Trump posted to his channel.

“Like other major policy updates, in our Help Center, we noted that there would be a short grace period after the Dec update & new content that broke our rules would be removed without penalty. The grace period was scheduled to end on Inauguration Day.

“Channels that receive a strike are temporarily suspended from posting or live streaming. Channels that receive three strikes in the same 90-day period will be permanently removed from YouTube. We apply our policies and penalties consistently, regardless of who uploads it.”

That last sentence was a thinly-veiled reference to the president, who companies like Google have been attacking for years now. They continue to push and increase their policies to quell conservative voices.

At the same time that YouTube was announcing these new policy updates, they also removed a video of Trump, which showed the president asking his supporters to disperse from the U.S. Capitol building peacefully. That’s the same video that both Facebook and Twitter took down from their platforms.

In doing so, YouTube spokesperson Farshad Shadloo said:

“We moved a video posted this afternoon to Donald Trump’s channel that violated our policies regarding content that alleges widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 20202 U.S. [presidential election]. We do allow copies of this video if uploaded with additional context and sufficient educational, documentary, scientific or artistic (EDSA) value.”

In other words, the president isn’t allowed to express his opinion on the platform. But, if someone else wanted to criticize the president with commentary, they could do so alongside the video and post it on their channel.

It’s hypocritical decisions like these that have consistently enraged Trump and his supporters over the last four years. Trump has consistently attacked big tech companies for their censorship policies. He’s even called for an end to Section 230, which gives tech companies immunity from lawsuits for content that’s posted to their sites.